A paradise for motorbike riders
16 day tour in Northern Thailand
If you have a bit more time and really want to experience a lot, then this tour will be just right for you. The carefully selected route combines pure riding fun along endless curvy, usually well developed roads with many opportunities to experience some customs of Northern Thailand and Laos and compare them with each other.
The overall distance is approximately 3,000 km – on motorbike routes that are among the best in the world. We ride up to the peak of the Doi Inthanon, the highest mountain in Thailand (2,565 m) and then visit the so-called "giraffe women", who are wearing heavy brass coils around their necks.
Between Mae Hong Son and Mae Taeng are the legendary 1,864 bends. Here you can work on your cornering technique for hours. Then we explore the legendary Golden Triangle and drive to the city of Nan. From here we continue to Bo Kluea – an absolutely amazing motorbike route. Virtually free of any traffic, the route meanders through a hilly landscape with innumerable long curves. Then we cross the Mekong River and find ourselves in beautiful and quaint Laos, where we have to readjust to driving on the right. Via Pakbeng we get to the cultural highlight of our tour: Luang Prabang (UNESCO World Heritage Site). Probably the most idyllic place in Southeast Asia, this charming little town still has a lot of flair from the colonial French past. Here it makes sense to take a day of leisure in order to explore some of the numerous little temples or the surrounding countryside. Via Vang Vieng we continue to the capital Vientiane. Back in Thailand we cruise along the Mekong River to Phu Ruea. The visit to the Historic Park of Sukhothai (UNESCO World Heritage Site) is another highlight of the tour. From here we return to Chiang Mai.
Level of difficulty
Approx. 3,015 km
The route is quite curvy, mostly being long turns and not hairpin bends. The roads are virtually all paved and usually not challenging. There are some steep sections and some technically more challenging parts. You should have adequate riding experience and be able to safely control the motorbike. We will cover between 150 and 300 km per day, giving us enough time for relaxing, eating and sightseeing. Although the roads in Laos are usually good, there might be occasional road works.
BMW F700/F800 GS
EUR 6,068 for driver
EUR 2,427 for passenger
EUR 714 single room surcharge
BMW R1200 GS
EUR 6,600 for driver
EUR 2,429 for passenger
EUR 714 single room surcharge
- Transfer from the airport in Chiang Mai to the hotel and back.
- 14 nights in good, comfortable hotels or resorts.
- Daily breakfast. 12 x lunch (not included on days off). 13 x dinner (not included on days off).
- Water, soft drinks and coffee/tea with the meals.
- Motorbike rental with unlimited mileage.
- Fuel during the tour.
- Third-party insurance for the motorbikes.
- Fully comprehensive insurance for the motorbike with USD 1,500 excess.
- “Road Captain” leading the group.
- Qualified local tour guide.
- Support vehicle for luggage transport (1 piece of luggage per person),
- drinks and seats for a limited number of passengers (passengers on enquiry).
- Entry fees.
- Information leaflet (driving and safety/security tips, route details, hotel details and highlights)
Flight, alcoholic beverages, meals on non-driving days, visa fees, personal expenses.
Meeting point and departure:
Khun Yut, Jörg Waldmann